So he’s popped the question, and you’re so excited because you have dreamt of this day for your entire life. Now, where do you start with the planning? Generally after your wedding date has been set and a venue has been chosen, the next step is to send out Save the Dates and then Wedding Invitations to tell all your nearest and dearest the details about your special day.
Wedding stationery is something close to our hearts here at Ruby & the Swallow, being graphic designers
and wedding fanatics ourselves. Your invitations are the initial glimpse into your wedding, and they set the tone and theme for your big day. There’s a lot to know about wedding invitations, and when choosing the type you would like, you must remember that they are the only real clue for the guests in determining what to anticipate, how to dress and what to bring.
10 things you should know:
1. Save the Date: This is a sneak peek into the theme of your wedding and their main purpose is to inform your guests of your wedding date. Save the Dates are generally sent about eight to six months before the wedding, via email or post.
2. Theme: The style of your wedding stationery should echo your chosen theme and colours. There is nothing better than a beautiful, cohesive set of wedding stationery to make a wedding look consistent.
3. Guests: Make a list of your guests and remember that only one invitation is necessary per couple or family. This will give you a great guide as to how many invitations you will eventually need.
4. Budget: It is important to know the amount you can spend on your wedding stationery before going ahead with planning. If your budget is low, you should opt for a DIY style, and get your family and friends involved in making your invitations as special as possible. If you have a higher budget, you can hire a graphic designer or order custom-made invitations online. There are many online South African retailers that do this and the options are endless; we suggest browsing through The Invitation Gallery.
5. Items: There are a number of different pieces of wedding stationery needed for your big day. These include the Save the Dates, Invitations, Ceremony Programs, Menus, Escort Cards/Table Lists, Place Cards and Table Numbers. Thank You Cards should be sent out after the wedding too. Check out our Pinterest boards for examples.
6. Etiquette: You reserve the right to invite guest’s children and partners; remember that it is your wedding day, and you should be completely happy with the guest list!
7. Proofread: once you have decided on your invitation’s wording, you need to approve it before printing. The worst thing will be to have your names misspelt, or your phone numbers incorrect, so proofreading is essential!
8. Printing & paper: This depends on your budget. If you are trying to save money, printing on your home printer is an option. If you have a bit more to spend, shop around for printers to do your stationery, as this can become an unnecessary expense if you don’t find a reasonable quote.
9. Timing: Designing and printing can take some time, whether you are doing the DIY or custom-designed option. You must order your wedding stationery at least four months prior to the wedding. Your invitations must be mailed about four to six weeks prior.
10. Have fun: Remember to just have fun with your wedding stationery, and let it always reflect you and your fiance’s personalities!
Picture credits: Image 1 // Image 2 // Image 3
Labels: invitations, Parcel Post, Ruby and the Swallow, save the date, Seven Swans, weddings, weddingstationery, weddingtips