Real Wedding: William + Roxy

I witnessed their engagement. And I was lucky enough to witness their wedding, and what a beautiful affair it was. Roxy and William are the epitome of beautiful love, and I was so privileged to see that for myself on their special day. Most weddings are special because of all the pretty details. Then there was this one; because even if you took all of that away, you would find a girl standing in front of a boy declaring their unconditional love for each other.

Good morning everyone, it’s Kim here today. I’m so proud to present to you today's Love Story: William & Roxy..
THE BASICS:
Full names of the bride and groom: Roxanne Antel & William Anderson               
Venue: St Mary’s Church, Richmond & Straven Court, Baynesfield
Colour and/or Theme: Country Autumn

THE DETAILS:

So what’s your love story?
Will and I met through mutual friends from church when I was in need of a matric dance partner. I am so thankful that I plucked up the courage to ask him to the dance as we had the most wonderful time together, despite barely knowing each other. We remained friends and slowly got to know each other over the next year, even though I went to study in Cape Town while he was studying in KwaZulu-Natal. About a year after my dance he asked me out at sunrise on the top of a mountain overlooking his farm in the Midlands. A few months later I moved back to KZN (long-distance sucks!) and we had the most wonderful, fun and adventurous (working a ski season in America in particular) three years of dating before getting married.

How did he propose?
Will was very brave and chose to propose in front of all my friends and family at my 21st birthday party. He and my friend Rachel had organised a slide show to be shown at the party, which I didn’t think was unusual. However, I started getting suspicious when at the end of the slide show it was just one picture after the next of the two of us, highlighting the fun we’d had together while dating. The slide show ended with a video clip Will had taken from the top of his farm (the same place he’d asked me out), where he described his feelings for me. He then dropped to his knee, in front of a gasping crowd, presented the most beautiful ring and asked me to marry him. It was perfect as we could then celebrate the engagement with everyone at the party.
What was the best lesson you learnt through planning your wedding?
Relax and enjoy the engagement and planning stages, don’t just wish for the wedding to come, as you’ll only be in that stage of your life and relationship once.

Any tips for brides-to-be?
Listen to people who may be more experienced than you in certain parts of wedding planning, but if you don’t agree or like their ideas then be assertive enough to say so to avoid having regrets later on.

Think carefully when doing your guest list; it’s more important to invite the people who you’ll be spending future time with, even if you may not be close yet, than the people who you are unlikely to remain your close friends in the future.

Make sure you give your photographer a list of exactly what photos you want and who should be in them so you don’t end up lacking professional photos with people who are important to you (such as grandparents).
How did you decide on the colour or theme of your wedding?
I saw a picture of bridesmaids’ dresses in a magazine which I loved and tried to replicate as much as possible. The colours in their dresses became the same ones used throughout the wedding decor and stationary. The same colours lent themselves to an Autumn theme and the wedding had a country feel to it as a result of both myself and William being farmers and getting married on a farm.
How involved was your husband or family in the wedding planning?
William was a great support throughout the planning of the wedding and was always ready to discuss aspects of the wedding and give his input. Being very practical and good with his hands, he was excellent when it came to building things required for the wedding, such as arches and flower-arranging equipment.

The family involvement in our wedding was substantial. As a result of getting married on my home farm there was a lot that needed to be done to get the venue ready. A tennis court was converted into the reception using enormous wooden poles, a beautiful tent and a lovely wooden deck. My father oversaw all the building and had a lot of help from his friends and my brothers. My mother was amazing in getting the garden beautifully transformed in only a few months. William’s cousin designed all our wedding stationary and my auntie made the flower girl dresses. On the big day my sister, sister-in-law and brother-in-law lead the worship, my auntie did the catering, my grannies made tea eats, the wedding cake and did the church flowers and my mother-in-law did the flowers in the reception venue.
What would you change about your wedding day if you could?
I think the only regret I have was leaving people off the guest list. Although we had a really big wedding there are still people who I wish I could’ve somehow made a plan to invite.
Were there any elements of your wedding that you did yourself?
Almost all the elements of the wedding had my involvement and decision-making but I had a lot of help from friends and family when it came to the actual practical putting together of things.
Did anything unexpected or extra special happen on your wedding day that surprised you and your husband? (Or just you!)
The whole day was super special and beautiful but the most unexpected event was when my husband handed a calf (a real live one) over to my dad as ‘labola’ during his speech.

What was your wedding song?
Life in Technicolor II by Coldplay (who we were lucky enough to watch live last year). {Click on the link to watch the video}

What was the flavour of your cake?
Carrot

Where did you go on honeymoon?
William planned the honeymoon as a surprise and we had the most amazing time. We spent our first night at Tala Game Reserve, four nights at Umngazi River Bungalows and four nights in the Kruger National Park. I think the highlight for me was Umngazi; it is so beautiful and the food and service is amazing.

SERVICE PROVIDERS:

Venue: Straven Court, Baynesfield (Evan Antel: 082 448 6072)

Coordinator: I didn’t have one.

Photographer: Alexis Diack (alexis@alexisdiack.com)

Decor: The draping was done by Muirheads in Pietermaritzburg, but all the other decor was put together with the help of friends and family.

Stationery: Will’s cousin, Struan Anderson, was in the design and advertising field at the time so he designed all our stationary and it was printed by Arrow Print in Pietermaritzburg.

Dress (including bridesmaids dresses): I was lucky to find a dress that I loved at the first shop I visited, Belle’s of Hilton. The mother of one of my bridesmaids, Annie Fincham, made the bridesmaids dresses.

Hair: Amanda at Chilli Peppers, Pietermaritzburg (033 342-0911).

Make-up: Michelle Stegen (0845140283)

Flowers:
Church: My grannies and their friends
Reception: My mother-in-law, Luan Anderson, and a team of her friends

Catering: My auntie, Bridgette English (0827504274)

Cake: My granny, Rae English

We would love to see your wedding! If you would like to feature it on our blog, email us at rubyandtheswallow@gmail.com 

Picture Credits: All photography by Alexis Diack.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,