Photography & Videography Feature: James Gibbs

We love featuring the work of local vendors. James Gibbs is a wedding photographer and videographer and we absolutely love all his work. Sit back and get to know him with our question and answer session.
How did you get into photography/videography? Which did you get into first? 
I Studied Graphic Design at the then, Durban Technikon, and in second year we did a photography course which taught us about camera functions, light, developing our own film (yip, that's right, back in the day when digital wasn’t even an option) etc. Since then, although being in the graphic and design work for about 10years, I always loved photography and eventually decided to take my hobby and passion and make a career out of it. As for the video side of things, I was described as a TV baby (watched the tube rather than read) and have had a love and fascination for the silver screen. Being able to “create” films for people about their special day is really a fun and rewarding avenue for me. Having both skills has allowed me to do 2 things that I enjoy, photography and video.

Was it a hobby that expanded into a business, or has it been a dream since you were young?
Yes, It was a hobby. I was fortunate to have worked with some of Durban’s top commercial photographers while I was a designer/art director so I had a wealth of knowledge and experience to tap into during photo shoots. I was always very interested and aware of what the photographers were during with light, lenses, exposure etc and being able to then work with the photos after the shoot gave me a lot of time to look at the finished result and understand how that particular shot was taken. This was one of the main reasons I felt confident to take the next step into making it into a business.

We hear you were a graphic designer once upon a time… tell us about that? Was that what you were doing prior to becoming a videographer?
That is correct. After my undergrad I did a 4th year honours degree before starting my design carreer in my home town PMB. I then worked in London and Cape Town before heading back to Natal to work on Mr Price Sports account here in Durban. The design backround I pocess as a result, I feel, gives me an added edge- especially in terms of designing my wedding albums and recognising the little design details each bride incorporates into their day.


Tell us about yourself in three words
Really, Really talented…. HA HA, I kid I kid…

Where are you based? And do you travel for your videography/photography?
Durban, I have a studio in Springfield business park. I do travel for destinations weddings but within reason. (I have a young daughter who I love to come home to, you understand?)


How would you describe your videography/photography "aesthetic"?
Creatively honest

What inspires you?
I’m inspired by simple moments, the happiness of a wedding day, meaningful cinematography and amazing lighting

Besides videography/photography, what are your other loves?
My family, especially my daughter, my dogs, a surf at sunrise at Pirates and a good trail run

What else do you shoot besides weddings?
I have done a range of things in the past but what I really love is family, potraits, maternity and newborn

As a design and wedding blog, we have to ask: do you enjoy photographing weddings?
Yip I do, I find the best part is getting caught up in the happiness and excitement of the couple and the day. It’s a honour to be asked every time to do one.
        
        
Who did you choose to photograph your own wedding? Who inspires you?
My friend and photographer, Bryan Powell. I have worked with and am continually inspired by Dean and Sam Maber, Sean Laurenz, Slade Mansfield, JoNo Neinarbe and Bryan Powell.

What do you see in the future for yourself in the next few years?
Tough question… Not sure exactly, but all I know is that I love what I do and how I do it. So I hope for more of what I have…

What are your wedding/engagement/general shoot rates?
Wedding photo/video start at R10,000. (separately or as a package)

How can people get hold of you?
Go to my website: www.jamesgibbs.co.za and click on the contact tab. Details are all there… For wedding enquires contact my wife Cally: cally@jamesgibbs.co.za 

Please finish these sentences: 
Right now I am happy about...t
he fact that my daughter, Madi, is walking on her own… No more back strain holding her hand while she missions around the house!

You probably already knew this, but...a cockroach can live for 9 days without its head…

I am so grateful that...
I get to do something I really dig and get to spend quality time with my family.


People would say that I am... a kid in a grownups body… and they’d be right! 

The worst job I ever had was...
having to clean the snackwich machine after making a mountain of cheese and tomato toasties… Tell me that hasn’t pushed your buttons before?? 

A photograph is... a
 moment in time, literally 

In a year I will be... w
ondering what I’ll be doing in a years time… 

When I wake up in the morning... I open my eyes, yawn and take the dogs for a run

Hashtags are... s
omething to do with weed? 
{This HAD to be our favourite answer of the interview. No James, a hashtag is a word of phrase with the symbol #, used on social networks like Twitter :) }

I am terrified of... l
eaving the house without any pants.
See more of James' work as well as his amazing videography on his website.

All photographs are copyrighted to James Gibbs Photography, and are not subject to being used without permission.

Labels: , , , ,