Real Wedding: Sam and Graham

We were blessed to be part of this special day - both in designing Sam and Graham's romantic, English countryside invitations, attending the wedding, and Filipa being part of the bridal party! It was a day filled with love, friendship and oh-so-much dancing! Grab a hot drink and re-live this special day with us!



THE BASICS:
The Bride and Groom: Samantha Scott & Graham Dickinson
Wedding Date: 14/09/2013
Venue: Eden Lassie
Colour and/or Theme: English Country with touches of Cream, Brown and Sandalwood

THE DETAILS:

So what’s your love story?
It all started as a real summer romance. We met at a beach party on Christmas night at Happy Wanderer’s down the South coast. My family owns a Plett House there and I had been going there for years. Graham's family was camping, and after a fun night of games and laughter we shared out first kiss.

It may sound cheesy but for the rest of the holiday we spend each night on the beach under the stars sharing our history and getting to know one another. After a romantic and amazing few days together, Graham's family packed up and decided to head home.

He came to say goodbye and it was an awkward moment of a hug and then he just left. He didn’t even take my number and he left without me knowing when I was going to see him again! A few hours later I was approached by a local camper requesting my number for Graham. (Let’s just say that this moment can define our whole relationship. My husband always acting at the last minute ;)

He got in touch with me and we saw each other again. There was a problem though, I was heading back to Grahamstown to study and was convinced that a long distance relationship would never work. But we gave it a go, and when after a month of not seeing each other went by, we knew we could it and this was the moment that we knew we wanted to be together forever - no matter what.

After I finished Varsity we moved in together and four and half years into our relationship he proposed!



How did he propose?
He phoned me at work one day and told me that he was going to pick me up for dinner. I was a little suspicious about all of this, but when he got out the car and I didn't see a bulging pocket of what could be a ring box, I thought it wouldn't happen that night. Dinner ended and so did my expectations.

We got home and I went straight into the living room. He disappeared into the bedroom. After a while I started to wonder what he was doing and walked towards the bedroom. When I walked in there were candles lit, the bed was covered in a heart shape of pink rose petals, there was champagne and strawberries and cream. Graham got on one knee and asked me THE QUESTION.

I don’t think I even answered him and I just started squealing (which is not something I do). Eventually I came to my senses and with shaking hands (both of us) he put the ring on my finger and I finally said YES!

What was the best lesson you learnt through planning your wedding?
You need to surround yourself with people you can rely on and that will be (nicely) honest with you. I really had the most amazing bridal party that were never criticizing and always helpful.

Any tips for brides to be?
Surround yourself with people who want to make your day special for you. I have heard of so many brides complain about trying to please everyone especially their bridesmaids. This is not their day – it is yours, and if they are making it difficult then they don’t have your best interests at heart. I am not saying you should be a bridezilla but instead be flexible and open to suggestions. If they care they won’t criticize you; but rather give helpful hints and ideas.



How did you decide on the colour or theme of your wedding?
I don’t know – I never really envisioned my wedding day when I was little – I just wanted something pretty and elegant and the colours just came together.

How involved was your husband or family in the wedding planning?
My husband was involved with most of everything in the wedding. From the venue, to the catering, to the colours. It’s a good thing to know what your fiancé likes – you can choose a few ideas and then you don’t end up wasting a lot of time on going over everything. My sister who was also my Maid of Honour was consulted on everything – its always good to have that one person who is involved in everything so they can see your idea come together with you.We had lots of help from family and friends – we were very lucky to have such wonderful people come together to make our special day happen,

What would you change about your wedding day if you could?
I would order more food.



Were there any elements of your wedding that you did yourself?
Yes, there was a lot of involved DIY Work. I think the biggest job was putting together the party favours. This entailed filling 100 glass jars with heart shaped candy and making sure to exclude the blue ones (I didn't like the colour!) – another thanks to the help of my bridesmaids. My husband also built the wooden wedding gift box and we painted it.

Did anything unexpected or extra special happen on your wedding day that surprised you and your husband? (Or just you!)
I spent so much time planning and trying to make everything perfect that I didn't actually expect the day to be so special. The best moment for me was our first dance. I was so nervous about dancing in front of everyone but when the moment came it was just perfect.



What was your wedding song? 
A Thousand Years – Christina Perri

What was the flavour of your cake?
CHOCOLATE of course! AND there were cupcakes!

Did you go on Honeymoon? And if so, where did you go?
Yes – we went to Elephant Rock Lodge! It was the most amazing trip.



SERVICE PROVIDERS:

Venue: Eden Lassie
Photographer: Milestones Photography
Decor & Flowers: Bunches for You and Function Flair
Stationery: Ruby + Swallow
Dresses: Wouldn’t you like to know ;) (They were a combination of bought and re-made!)
Hair: Hair 24-7 in PMB
Make-up: Taro Spriggs
Catering: CHC Caterers
Cake: In2Food (the most amazing Cake)
DJ: Cecil Fourie from Executive DJS.

Labels: , , , , ,