Real Wedding: Kate + Brian

Kate is a wedding photographer, and we featured her work on the blog in June this year. After reading a bit about her, and finding out that Samantha Maber took Kate's wedding photos in 2012, we just loved the idea of featuring her wedding on the blog as well. So here it is, Kate and Brian's pastel pretty wedding on their gorgeous family farm and their love story. Enjoy!

THE BASICS:
Full names of the bride and groom: Kate and Brian Martens
Date and year of your wedding: 19 May 2012
Venue: Our beautiful family farm – Aberdour , situated in KZN
Colour and/or Theme: Soft, pretty and pastels


THE DETAILS:

So what’s your love story?
Well Brian and I go WAAAY back, to 1992 to be exact My brother went off to boarding school in PMB at the young age of 11 and as he was a year young for his standard had to play sport with the class below and ended up playing in the same team as Brian ( Hentie as most people know him) . So many a Saturday and Sunday I was dragged off to watch cricket, which I hated and was around him all the time But when you that age boys are gross and he didn’t interest me at all. They then left junior school to separate high schools and kind of lost touch. Fast forward to 8 years later they met up as students and became friends again, and seeing Brian after all those years , the “not interested little 8 year old” became very interested. And the rest is history. Not to say it was easy, as brothers are very protective, there was a little hesitance from his side before he accepted it all…






How did he propose?
Im very suspicious by nature so Brian had to be very sneaky and inventive to get past me. He knew that if he planned a weekend away that I would smell a rat so he concockted this whole story that he and his business partner has won a weekend away to Umgazi River Bungalow. So the whole time I was planning this holiday with Sean and Sally ( brian sister – yes our group likes to keep it in the same circle J) what spa treatments were going to have, things we were going to do etc. So the morning of the trip Hentie brings me the “booking” form printed on an Umgazi letter head with all 4 of our names on it. He had gone to that much trouble to make it authentic. The trip is about 6 hours long so the poor chap must have been hating every minute of it while I was blissfully unaware of what was about to happen. We got the hotel and “surprizingly” they had put us in the honeymoon suite, STILL…. I was clueless. I was more embarrassed that they did this than enjoy the news, as we werent even married… So after walking into this amazing room, and I walked onto the balcony to see a bucket with champaygne…. STILL I had no idea and thought how sweet that they thought we were married. Anyway so I turned around and theres Hentie with this look of terror on his face with him directing me to the nicely opened ring box on the bed, and then imeditatly getitng onto one knee… I could hardly see the ring I was crying so much. After our long weekend there he had organised a celebratory dinner with his family and mine when we got back.





What was the best lesson you learnt through planning your wedding?
Be organised, try get as much help from family and friends as it will mean less stress for you and choose your bridesmaids and groomsmen wisely. I had five of the most amazing ladies standing next to me, and so did Hentie and it made our day that much more special.






Any tips for brides to be?
Get a videographer, your day goes by in a blink of the eye and one day your children will want to watch it.

How did you decide on the colour or theme of your wedding?
I love pastel colours and couldn't chose one particular colour hence the five different bridemaid dresses – so my colour scheme was more “pastel” than just one colour.





How involved was your husband or family in the wedding planning?
My family was amazing, each person played such an important part in making it the best day of our lives. I had a mom that could put most wedding planners to shame and Brian was perfect, not to involved ..ha ha , but just enough so it didn’t stress him out too much, as we know most men don’t really enjoy the nitty gritty of whats involved with weddings. He had important duties like what the guests were going to eat and ensure the bar was fully stocked, a very imporatant part of any wedding … oh and that the dance floor was level ( took him the whole day).




What would you change about your wedding day if you could?
To be honest, the weather. We had such a beautiful week of warm winter sun and then the day of our wedding, it was cloudy and FREEZING. Luckily no rain, but the wind was so chilly. So if I had to say something it would be that I wished it had been warmer other than that nothing, it was perfect.

Were there any elements of your wedding that you did yourself?
Well I didn’t have a wedding planner/co-ordinator so basically planned and put the the whole day together by myself ( with the help of Brian, Family and friends)






Did anything unexpected or extra special happen on your wedding day that surprised you and your husband? (Or just you!)
Nope, all went smoothly with no unexpected hiccups

What was your wedding song?
Never let you go – Evermore. I didn’t want a soppy sad song , so this song was perfect. Meaningful words with a nice beat and it came from one of my favourite series – Macleods daughthers

What was the flavour of your cake?
Chocolate – as we both hate fruit cake




Did you go on Honeymoon? And if so, where did you go?
We went to the most beautiful, secluded hotel in Ponta Mamoli called The White Pearls. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to spoil a loved one or go on honeymoon. The service,staff, food, location was out of this world – didn’t want to leave.

SERVICE PROVIDERS:
Venue: Aberdour Farm
Coordinator: Me & my mom
Photographer: Sam Maber
Decor & Flowers: Kerry Dinkleman - 0824119106
Settings - Heather http://www.settingsfunctionhire.co.za/ 0837778314
Stationery: Monique from By Invitation
Dress (including bridesmaids dresses):  Pronovias – Carita Bridal
Bridemaids dresses made by Renalda from Elre Attire Designs - 0848403437
Hair: Vanessa from Make up your Mind
Make-up: Angela from Make up your Mind
Catering: Margie from Aurbergine Catering
Cake: Ronnie Hillerman - 0843330808

Labels: , , , , ,