Real Wedding: Caitlyn + Brendon

We showed you this amazing couple and their engagement shoot about two weeks ago, and now we are so excited to show your their wedding day! Caitlyn and Brendon pulled out all the stops and created every DIY fanatic's dream wedding.They took on the mammoth task of doing almost everything themselves and they did it Moroccan style! We love the jewel tones of this wedding - so unique and inspiring. So grab a cup of tea, sit back and enjoy this eastern inspired delight! 

THE BASICS: 
The bride and groom: Caitlyn Munn and Brendon Westwood
Wedding Date: 22 October 2011
Venue: Shalwyn Wedding and Conference Centre 
Colour and/or Theme: Moroccan

THE DETAILS:
So what’s your love story?
We met at 54, I know, every girl knows you don’t go to clubs to meet guys! Especially 54! It was a whole year later that we managed to be in the same time and place, to light the spark again. Our first date was a round of mashie golf and coffee, where we managed to talk for so long that time ran away with us and we had to rush out of the coffee shop and forgot to pay the bill!! We made it official on the 24th October 2008, after I met his entire family at his Niece’s 1st birthday party (I’m talking all 40 something family members). When I made it out alive, I guess we both knew it was love!
How did he propose?
We decided to spend the day in the Midlands and Bren made it a random, make it up as you go along day. We meandered up towards Rosetta and turned up a dirt road and wondered into a building where we were greeted by name and shown the a private picnic spread out in a field over looking the hills. By now I had my suspicions that this was a little less random than I had thought, but Bren just kissed me and said he wanted to surprise me. We had bought our new camera with us and were playing with the settings and the tripod, when Bren suggest that we try take another timed picture. I got up to sit on a log that we had next to us, and as I turned around Bren was on his knee, with a ring box in his hand! He said to me, ‘Before we go any further, I would like to know if you would marry me? 
What was the best lesson you learnt through planning your wedding?
Planning our wedding was so much fun - planning being the operative word! I had everything planned down to the very last item on the table and I discovered so much about myself and had so much fun doing it! The more you can sort out beforehand the less stressful everything was. 

How did you decide on the colour or theme of your wedding?
I didn't choose a colour for my wedding! I had all the colours at my wedding! We had a Moroccan theme for our wedding (I’m convinced my mom and I were born on the wrong continent, the two of us love almost everything Eastern!) Choosing the theme was easy, it was everything that I loved! Rich colours, bold patterns, and so very different to everything else! Part the theme for our wedding was the jewel colours, each table was a different jewel. Ruby, Amethyst, Emerald, Tigers eye etc. Each table had its own décor to match the theme and jewel. My mom and I planned.
How involved was your husband or family in the wedding planning?
 My husband was involved in making the big decision from the beginning, we decided on a date and researched everything we could from venues to churches, to suit hire and flowers – to try a build a budget. Since we were paying for everything ourselves all of our decisions had to be things we were both happy with. 


What would you change about your wedding day if you could?
Absolutely nothing! Maybe if it could have been a few degree’s cooler (it was 42 degrees that day!), but really absolutely nothing!
Were there any elements of your wedding that you did yourself?
We did as much of the wedding as we could ourselves. Aside from all the table décor, my mom made all the place mats for each table, we decorated candles, and we blinged almost everything in sight. I also designed the save the dates, which I had printed as fridge magnets. My mom and I designed and made all of the invites and we set up a fun photobooth ourselves too. I made hair pieces for myself and my maid of honour, and a princess hairpiece for my niece who was my flower girl. My mom-in-law and sister-in-law to be were very patient and helpful in designing and making my wedding cake, which turned out beautifully.

Did anything unexpected or extra special happen on your wedding day that surprised you and your husband? (Or just you!)
We arrived to pick up the flowers, and when the florist took the out the fridge for me to see, they were absolutely perfect and everything that I could have imagined and more. I am not a big flower person and the two bouquets were the only flowers that I was having. I told the florist that I wanted rich jewelled colours and that I didn't mind what flowers as long as they were striking and varied in shape size and texture. When we picked up the flowers they were so perfect, it made the day real for me. It was about ten at night when everyone was sitting on the lawn, where it was now blissfully cool and two of Bren’s friends started up a fire dance. They had bought all of their gear with them and had organised to dance. It was beautiful out on the lawn - so impromptu and so casually perfect and the way it fitted with the theme and was such a beautiful way to round off the day.


What was your wedding song?
‘It is you’ by Dana Glover. We did a choreographed waltz and practiced for months before! When we got our wedding video back it was fantastic and the song was beautiful.
What was the flavour of your cake?
We had a three tiered cake, on a wrought iron stand. We had chocolate on the bottom, which had chocolate ganache walls, and chocolate truffles on top.The second tier was carrot cake with crème cheese icing, with white chocolate ganache walls and chocolate truffles. The top tier was a smaller version of the bottom, which we kept for ourselves!

Did you go on Honeymoon? And if so, where did you go?
We went to Cape Town and stayed in the Southern Sun on the V&A waterfront. We spent a week indulging in whatever we fancied!

SERVICE PROVIDERS:
Venue: Shalwyn Conference Centre. 
Coordinator: Myself!
Photographer: MadPhoto Design 
Decor: We hired some of the elements we used for the décor from Settings Function Hire
Stationary: I design printed and made the stationary myself but I bought the paper from House of Fine Paper
Dress:  I hired my wedding dress from The Bridal Shop, in the Windermere Centre. I had my Maid of Honour’s dress made at Just Prom, a store in Glenwood Centre. 
Hair and Makeup:  Lindsay from Nixon Makeup
Flowers: Flora Flowers
Catering: Hamblins Catering – they are affiliated with the venue. 
Cake: My Mom-in-Law and Sister-in-Law. They have a small home industry business. Lauren Cunningham: 0722404492.
DJ: DJ Benny. Brendon Funnell - 082 874 0352

All photographs copyrighted to MAD Photo Design and not for replication or reuse. 

Labels: , , , , ,